Pasta & Beans
This hearty dish combines filling beans with delicious pasta.
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can beans
- 2 cups penne pasta salt to taste
This healthy version of the Reuben sandwich still packs some great flavor.
- 1/4 Cup Fat-free Thousand Island Dressing
- 8 Slices Whole Wheat Bread
- 8 oz. Low Sodium Turkey Breast
- 1/2 Cup Sauerkraut (rinsed and drained)
- 4 Slices Reduced Fat Swiss Cheese
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray
The Healthy Roti
Experience the Caribbean with this West Indies inspired dish.
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp each coriander, cinnamon and turmeric
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 cup canned chickpeas
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2-3 large roti or wheat flour tortillas
Sesame Noodles With Chicken
Harness the flavor of sesame in this asian inspired dish.
- 1 bag Japanese buckwheat soba noodles
- 5 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp honey mustard
- 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 5 scallions
Mexican Lunch Minus the Meat
This tasty vegetarian dish is sure to please even the pickiest meat eater.
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 can (3 1/2 ounces)chopped green chile peppers
- 1 can (14-19 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup instant rice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
Healthy Lunch Pizza
This version of pizza packs all the flavor of take out, but a mere percentage of the calories.
- 1 toasted whole wheat pita
- 1/2 Cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1/2 Cup grilled chicken breast
- 1/4 Cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- Garlic and Oregano to taste
This meal could be a dinner it is so filling. Quick enough for lunch though.
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 2 zucchini
- 2 yellow squash
- 12 oz asparagus, trimmed
- 1 roasted red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cup lightly packed arugula, chopped
- 1 cup mixed baby greens
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Pasta & Beans
- Turkey Reuben
- The Healthy Roti
- Sesame Noodles With Chicken
- Mexican Lunch Minus the Meat
- Healthy Lunch Pizza
- Grilled Veggies
- In a frying or saute pan heat the oil. Add onion and then cook until translucent. Add tomatoes and beans. Let simmer for 10 mins.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta. Cook until al dente then drain.
- Mix pasta with bean mixture, toss to coat.
- Spread dressing on one side of each slice of bread.
- Stack sandwiches with turkey, sauerkraut and cheese.
- Spray a large pan with olive oil spray and cook 2 sandwiches over medium heat for 4 minutes per side. Make sure bread is toasted and cheese is melted then serve hot.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the onion; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in broth, sweet potato, garlic, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and turmeric.
- Cover and cook, stirring ever so often for 15 minutes or until potato is tender. Season with hot sauce.
- Stir in chick-peas and coconut milk. Bring to a boil. Cook, stirring often, until chick-peas are heated through. Divide mixture between two roti shells. Roll to make a wrap.
- Cook noodles according to package.
- In a large bowl whisk together next 6 ingredients to make dressing.
- Cook chicken until cooked through. Shred and add to peanut mixture.
- Add drained noodles, scallions and toss until combined.
- Heat a 2-quart pot coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, corn, and chile peppers
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the beans, rice, and cumin. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Top 1 toasted whole wheat pita with tomatoes, mozzarella, grilled chicken breast, and chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with minced garlic and oregano
- Place under oven broiler until cheese bubbles.
- In a medium bowl, whisk first 4 ingredients to make the dressing. Gradually add oil while stirring fast.
- Heat barbecue or pan to medium high.
- Brush onion, zucchini, yellow squash, and asparagus with 1/2 of the balsamic dressing. Grill or saute vegetables until just cooked through, turning occasionally.
- Allow veggies cool slightly, then cut into small pieces and place in large bowl.
- Add roasted bell pepper, arugula, and greens; toss with enough dressing to coat.